Tony is a world-renowned jazz bassist who spent his early career studying at the Berklee School of Music. Over the last 20 years he's gone on to collaborate and tour with some of the world’s greatest musicians, such as: John McLaughlin, Hiromi, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Gavin DeGraw, Tomoyasu Hotei, Dennis Chambers, Bill Evans and many more.
Tony is also a multi-instrumentalist, composer, producer, published author and award-winning music educator who has taken the bass community by storm with the development of his ground-breaking bass education curriculum, showcased as the Tony Grey Bass Academy, the first ever documented online Academy in Bass Education.
THE BASS ACADEMY
The Academy was initially intended to be a companion for his instructional book, Tony Grey Bass Academy: Jazz Bass Method; however, the Academy exceeded its initial vision and stands alone as a ground-breaking online music education curriculum, designed to take players from the beginning of their journey through music, all the way to the very end and beyond, learning music creatively rather than mechanically. A Philosophy developed by Grey, which now leads thousands of students to becoming the next generation of bass virtuosos.
TONY'S BASS CLINICS
We have students from all over the world who study with Tony and our student base is growing everyday, which has encouraged and allowed us to travel extensively in order to reach more and more students who are seeking alternative learning opportunities. Our clinics not only promote the Academy by teaching the format of the curriculum, they also inspire players of all ages and levels to think about music and education from a different perspective. Tony’s approach to teaching an audience is phenomenal. He’s truly gifted with the ability to inspire and reach individuals on a level they rarely experience. This is something we hear time and again after putting on a clinic or masterclass. His “creative learning” philosophy and discussion of the necessary tools to overcome the obstacle of fear is what constitutes the foundation for his teaching platform.
THE LIVE PERFORMANCE PIECE
In addition to the educational component of Tony's clinics, he also incorporates a live performance piece with his latest project, Galactic Duo. This project features Tony's original compositions expressed in a multi-dimensional universe of cosmic sound, combining his signature live looping and melodic improvisations with the rhythmic fusion of layered electronica tracks, collectively propelled through space and time by the intuitive groove and high energy brilliance of drummer, Ian Maciak. A flawless performance that can be summed up as an ethereal, drum and bass, jazz-fusion masterpiece! What a way to end an inspirational evening of music education...
Tony Grey, Hiromi, David "Fuze" Fiuczynski and Mauricio Zottarelli
Tony Grey is an innovator of the bass. He has the musicality, facility, and sound to take the instrument to places it hasn't been before. A joy to play with and listen to.Bill Evans, www.billevanssax.com
Tony Grey is a natural and will develop into one of the great and innovative musicians of our time. He and the bass were made for each other.John McLaughlin, www.johnmclaughlin.com
Tony Grey is one of the most melodic bass players in the world. He has an amazing technique and the combination of his warm and dark tone is truly beautiful. It is such a wonderful opportunity to get to understand his unique concept and approach to music-making.Hiromi, www.hiromimusic.com
Wonderful composer, fantastic bass player. Anybody at any level can learn from Tony. He is smokin'!Mike Stern, www.mikestern.org
Hiromi, Simon Phillips, Anthony Jackson, John McLaughlin & Tony Grey
TONYGREY | FULL BIOGRAPHY
Born March 25, 1975 in Newcastle, England. Tony is a multi-instrumentalist, master bassist, composer, producer, published author and award-winning music educator; he studied at the world-renowned Berklee College of Music and graduated in 2001, receiving the prestigious 'Outstanding Performer' award. Tony is known for his 6-string electric bass technique, his blend of jazz/world-fusion compositions, and his groundbreaking music education curriculum and teaching Philosophy.
Tony was raised in a family where music was just another family member. His path toward becoming a musician was born out of an accident that nearly took his life. At the age of 18 after breaking his back, Tony picked up his first bass guitar. During his recovery he started playing under the watchful eye of legendary guitarist, John McLaughlin.
Tony successfully auditioned for a scholarship to the world-renowned Berklee College of Music in Boston. During his years at Berklee, Tony joined the newly formed pop band ‘Bliss’. The group had signed a major record deal with the legendary record producer, Terry Ellis, who in the past discovered Billy Idol, Jethro Tull, Blondie, Huey Lewis and the News and Pat Benatar, to name a few. Tony spent 18 months touring with the group throughout Asia, appearing on several TV shows, recording three hit singles, filming MTV music videos, and achieving a Top Ten CD. Tony left the group in order to return to the USA to complete his studies at Berklee. During his last years at Berklee, Tony studied with some of the greatest teachers – Kenwood Dennard, Larry Watson, Bruce Gertz and Rich Appleman. Tony graduated from Berklee in 2001 with the prestigious “Outstanding Performer” Award.
Since graduating, Tony has led many clinics and master classes at Berklee and has appeared in many of the college’s showcase events, including a tribute to US pop legends Steely Dan, hosted by the President of Berklee, and attended by Donald Fagen and Walter Becker of Steely Dan.
Tony has gone on to collaborate and perform with some of the world’s greatest musicians, such as: John McLaughlin, Hiromi, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Gavin DeGraw, Hotei Tomoyasu, Dennis Chambers, Bill Evans, Zach Alford (David Bowie/B52's), Reeves Gabrels & Jason Cooper (The Cure), Zakir Hussain, Gregorie Maret, Gary Husband, Mino Cinelu, Brian Blade, Mike Stern, Karsh Kale, Wayne Krantz, Steve Lukather (Toto), Branford Marsalis, Shaggy, Ice-T, M-1 (Dead Prez), Melanie Fiona, Toby Lightman, Simon Philips (Hiromi/Toto), Dave Holland, Mark Guiliana, Kenwood Dennard (Sting/Miles Davis), Russell Ferrante (The YellowJackets), David Fiuczynski (Screaming Headless Torsos/Meshell Ndegeocello), Larry Watson, Fabrizio Sotti, Ada Rovatti, Jetro Da Silva (Whitney Houston/Patti Austin), David Garfield, Frank Mccomb, David Nichtern, Res, Raymond Angry, Gene Lake (David Sanborn), Dave Dicenso, Chris Dave, Oliver Rockberger, Falguni, Reb Beach (Whitesnake), Deantoni Parks, Lionel Loueke (Wayne Shorter/Charlie Haden), Naveen Kumar, and Christian Scott.
In 2004, Tony had the great honor of performing at New York’s Lincoln Centre with David Nichtern’s band ‘Drala’ for his holiness the Dali Lama.
Tony produced and released his first solo album, Moving, in 2004. In 2008 he released his second album, Chasing Shadows under the Abstract Logix label. In 2010 he released Unknown Angels under the ObliqSound label. In 2013 he produced and released Elevation, featuring John McLaughlin, Tomoyasu Hotei, Mike Stern, Mino Cinelu, Reb Beach, and David Fiuczynski. His most recent CD, The Way Home will be released in 2016... STAY TUNED!
TONY GREY BASS ACADEMY
In 2012 Tony set forth on his journey as a music educator and unveiled the Tony Grey Bass Academy, the first documented online Academy in Bass Education. The Bass Academy was initially intended to be a companion to his book 'Tony Grey Bass Academy: Jazz Bass Method'; however, the Academy exceeded its initial vision and stands today as a complete and structured online music curriculum, designed to take players from the beginning of their journey through music, all the way to the very end and beyond, learning music creatively rather than mechanically. A groundbreaking philosophy developed by Grey, which now leads thousands of students to becoming the next generation of bass virtuosos. www.tonygreybassacademy.com
"Let nothing restrict you but the limitation of your own imagination." - Tony Grey
Vancouver International Jazz Festival (Vancouver, Canada)
Brecon Jazz Festival (Brecon-Wales, UK)
Playboy Jazz Festival (Los Angeles, CA)
Montreaux Jazz Festival (London, UK)
Montreal Jazz Festival (Montral, Canada)
Tokyo Jazz Festival (Tokyo, Japan)
Umbria Jazz Festival (Perugia, Italy)
Shanghai Jazz Festival (Shanghai, China)
Java Jazz Festival (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Blue Note (Tokyo, Japan)
Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club (London, UK)
San Francisco Jazz Festival (San Francisco, CA)
Hollywood Bowl (Los Angeles, CA)
Shepherds Bush Empire (London, UK)
RootWire Arts Festival (Athens, OH)
Earth Dance Festival (SanFrancisco, CA)
UCLA (Los Angeles, CA)
Highline Ballroom (NYC, NY)
Tokyo International Forum (Tokyo, Japan)
Blue Note (NYC, NY)
IN THE MEDIA
- 2016 No Treble, “Gerald Veasley’s Bass BootCamp Returns March 18-20”:
- 2015 Premier Guitar, “Fodera Unveils the Emperor II Hybrid and Tony Grey Signature Monarch 6”:
- 2015 No Treble, “Tony Grey: Carol of The Bells”:
- 2015 No Treble, “Fodera Introduces Emperor II Hybrid and Tony Grey Signature Monarch Basses”:
- 2015 No Treble, “BassTheWorld: 29 Bassists in 1 Video”:
- 2014 Musical Merchandise Review, “Aguilar and Fodera Run Clinic With Bassist Tony Grey”:
- 2014 No Treble, “Tony Grey: Coldplay’s ‘The Scientist’ All-Bass Cover”:
- 2014 Bass Musician Magazine Review, “Tony Grey: Bass Academy Book/DVD”:
- 2014 Bass Musician Magazine Cover, “Tony Grey: Hopeful & Open”:
- 2013 No Treble, “Tony Grey Releases ‘Elevation’”:
- 2013 Bass Musician Magazine Article, “Bass Book: Tony Grey Bass Academy”:
- 2013 Bass Player Magazine Review, “CD Review: Elevation”:
- 2013 Bass Frontiers Magazine Review, “CD Review: Elevation”:
- 2013 Erie Reader, “The Truth About Tony Grey”:
- 2013 Broadway World, “Tony Grey to Release New Album ‘Elevation’ on 10/15”:
- 2013 Something Else Review, “CD Review: Elevation”:
- 2012 No Treble, “Tony Grey: Floating River Yangtze”:
- 2012 Subsonic Pinoy Interview: “Bass Talk With Tony Grey”:
- 2011 Bass Player Magazine, “Tony Grey: Unknown Angels [Obliq Sound]”:
- 2011 No Treble, “Tony Grey with Hiromi’s Sonicbloom: Live Bass Solo”:
- 2011 Independent Music Awards VOX POP Winner, “Album of the Year Award”:
- 2010 Bass Frontiers Magazine Review “CD Review: Unknown Angels”:
- 2010 Abstract Logix Interview, “Tony Grey Speaks About His Unknown Angels”:
- 2010 No Treble Review, “Tony Grey: Unknown Angels”:
- 2010 Jazz Times Review, “CD Review: Unknown Angels”:
- 2009 No Treble, “Ray’s raving about… Tony Grey’s Chasing Shadows”:
- 2009 Bass Musician Magazine Interview, “Tony Grey: Keep An Eye On”:
- 2009 No Treble, “Hiromi with Tony Grey: Live at Duc des Lombards”:
- 2009 All About Jazz Interview, “Tony Grey: Stepping Out Of The Shadows”:
- 2008 All About Jazz Review, “CD Review: Chasing Shadows”:
- 2008 Bass Musician Magazine, “Tony Grey | Hiromi: Beyond Standard”:
- 2008 Bass Musician Magazine, “Tony Grey: Chasing Shadows”:
- 2008 All About Jazz Review, “Tony Grey: Chasing Shadows”:
- 2006 Bass Sessions, “Interview with Hiromi’s Bassist, Tony Grey”:
- 2005 Guitar Player Magazine, “Tony Grey”:
- 2004 All About Jazz Review, “Tony Grey: Moving”: